I mentioned yesterday the idea of at-home date nights. I decided that if I’m going to give this a try at my house, I should come up with a good list of different at-home date night ideas. This helps us simplify, but also helps us get creative and be a little more thoughtful when it comes to planning our dates. This helps us save money by not having to hire a babysitter. I love our babysitter, but it does get expensive. And it’s kind of stressful for someone else to put your kids to bed.
These 20 ideas only work if both people are on board. No checking your phone, no glancing at the TV to catch the score (unless it’s part of the “date”) and no grumbling. Enjoy your time together.
If you have kids, put your kids to bed and make sure they are sound asleep. The whole idea is to do this without having to hire a babysitter and without having to send the kids to the grandparents’ house.
- If you’re watching your favorite football team play, put on your school colors, fix hot dogs and have nachos. Treat it like you’re at the game!
- Play board games—or do like we do and play Connect Four
- Sit outside on your back patio or on your front porch and eat your supper.
- Fix a picnic in front of the TV.
- Create a playlist of your favorite songs and dance.
- Rent a movie and have popcorn. (But rent the movie before your date night!)
- Turn off the TV and read books. Just sitting next to each other is so relaxing.
- Cook an amazing dessert and indulge. Eat it straight out of the pan!
- Take a walk down memory lane and spend time reminiscing about when you met and where you went together.
- Grill in the backyard and eat outside.
- Watch each other’s favorite movies- no matter how much you don’t like his favorite movie!
- Cook your favorite comfort food and veg out on the couch after dinner.
- Cook a fancy meal and light the candles in the dining room.
- Write love notes to each other.
- Watch a concert on DVD- I love Fleetwood Mac “The Dance” concert DVD
- Order your favorite take out.
- Dress up. Not super dressy clothes, but look like you didn’t just spend all day working or chasing kids.
- Watch your favorite TV show on the DVR- or if it’s Friday, do what we do and watch Dateline NBC after dinner.
- Have theme nights. If his favorite movie is Rocky, watch Rocky while eating Rocky Road Ice Cream. Your favorite movie is Sixteen Candles, so get silly, put on a prom dress and eat birthday cake while watching the movie. Maybe you are watching Moonstruck and want to cook a huge pot of spaghetti and meatballs. Get creative!
- Watch your wedding video while snuggling on the couch.
Do you have any ideas for date nights at home? What do you like to do?